Assistant to the Rector for Family Ministries
March 13, 2023
Grace Episcopal Church, a vibrant, historic Anglo-Catholic parish in Alexandria, Virginia, seeks an Assistant to the Rector for Family Ministries, either lay or ordained, to join our team of positive and talented staff and lay leaders. The Assistant will support formation programs that contribute to the flourishing of the entire parish, especially youth, children, and parents. The ideal candidate is an energetic, outgoing, organized, collaborative, proactive, and creative communicator who will be an ambassador for Grace Church.
Team Member: Make us better because you are part of the staff team. (We’ll do the same.)
- Collaborate with staff and lay leaders.
- Join and add to a healthy church ecosystem.
- Share your gifts, even if they aren’t required below.
- Be prepared to love your job.
Worship Leader: Invite all ages into an experience of holiness.
- Preach and lead worship, with special responsibility Sunday children’s chapel and seasonal liturgies for children and families.
- Innovate to create faith-at-home experiences.
- Design and share in leadership of Grace Episcopal School chapel.
Coach and guide: Support the ministry and gifts of lay leaders.
- Develop and collaborate with Education and Youth Teams to establish and meet goals for children’s and youth programming.
- Recruit, train, and equip Sunday School teachers and youth leaders from across the parish.
Manager: Create an organized environment that allows ministry to blossom.
- Ensure that church spaces and materials communicate a message of welcome to families and children and contribute to an inclusive and interculturally welcome environment.
- Create a safe space for all by coordinating training in misconduct prevention, as well as documentation and related materials, and supervising nursery workers.
- Work with seasoned volunteers to create special events during the church year: e.g., Christmas Pageant, Lenten programming, etc.
Teacher: Serve as a mentor for young people.
- Serve as a chaplain for Grace Episcopal School, teaching religion classes and supporting outreach from the church to school families.
- Prepare young people for confirmation, baptism, and other rites of passage.
Community Builder: Incorporate people of all ages into Grace Church.
- Provide pastoral care and visitation by cultivating relationships in the parish, school, and wider community, including the Spanish-speaking La Gracia community.
- Establish small groups for particular identities and needs, such as parenting groups.
- Welcome newcomers and, with the lay Evangelism Team, connect them to the life of the parish.
- Work with community partners to connect families to outreach opportunities.
Qualities and Core Competencies: The heart and skills of our ideal candidate.
- Positive, energetic, and helpful temperament.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Self-motivated and able to adapt to change in a fast-changing and decentralized environment.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Intercultural experience and competency.
- Spanish-language skills not required but very helpful.
- Excellent writing, speaking, teaching, and communication abilities.
- Two or more years of work experience in a church setting. Master of Divinity preferred.
- Experience and proficiency in:
- Godly Play.
Job Particulars: What it’s like to work here.
- Reports to Rector.
- Full-time (Sunday mornings in-person required).
- Flexible/Remote work possible.
- Pet- and child-friendly office.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume (and OTM Portfolio, if ordained) to email@example.com. The search will be open until the job is filled.